Enter the wilderness of Seal Bay Conservation Park, where there are no enclosures or cages. Instead, you will be taken into the heart of the colony where our experienced guides will teach you about the endangered and enigmatic Australian sea lion. There is nowhere else in the world where you can listen to an expert tell the story of how these declining animals hunt, surf, rest, defend their territory or interact with their pups.
This is a 45 minute walking tour with only you and your guide. You’ll follow a boardwalk through the dune system to the beach, and on the way you’ll have spectacular views of the colony and the rugged coastline.
Our guides have made studying the Australian sea lion their life’s work. A guided beach tour does not follow a standardised script. Instead your guide will give their unique insights through interpreting sea lion behaviour and the latest happenings in the colony. They’ll make sure everyone is safe and keep you at an appropriate distance, making sure the sea lions do not feel threatened by human presence.
This is a truly exceptional wildlife experience not to be missed.
- Enjoy gaining unique insights of this species and their colony with your own passionate and knowledgeable guide
- Have the opportunity to photograph sea lions, sea birds and capture stunning landscapes
- Learn how Seal Bay is actively involved with the conservation and research of this precious and declining species.
Availability: Every day (excluding Christmas Day) subject to availability
Touring Dates & Times: Daily between 9am-3.45pm
(9am, 9.15am, 9.45am, 10am, 10.30am, 10.45am, 12.45pm, 2.30pm, 3pm, 3.15pm or 3.45pm)
Number of participants: Your group size (maximum 25 people)
Duration of Tour: 45 minute tour
Please be at the Visitor Centre 15 minutes before tour commencement
Considerations: This tour does involve a steep hill, approximately 40 stairs and walking on soft sand. Please discuss this with us if you think it could be problematic for anyone in your group.
Ticket Prices (Private Fee + Per Person cost):
|Private Guide Fee
$138 per tour
$200 per tour
| Per person ticket
* Concession - Seniors Card, SA State Concession Card, Health Care Card, full-time Australian secondary or tertiary student card and Commonwealth Seniors Health Benefit Card or Pensioner Concession Card.
** Family - 2 adults & 2 children OR 1 adult & 3 children. Any additional children to be charged at 50% of child rate.
How to secure your booking:
Bookings for this tour are essential, if you would like to book please contact one of our team on (08) 8553 4460 during business hours or email email@example.com with the below information:
- Requested date of tour
- Number of people and ticket type per person
- Australian contact number and/or email (please note reception is limited on the island).
- Pre-payment by credit card is required to secure your booking.
- This tour can be used in conjunction with a Kangaroo Island Parks Pass. Private Guide Fee is not included.
- Please ensure you arrive at Seal Bay Visitor Centre with plenty of time to commence the tour (recommend 15 minutes before scheduled tour time). The gates for Seal Bay will be opened at 8.50am for the 9am tour.
- If you arrive after your booked tour time you will not receive a full 45 minute tour. Rescheduling of tour subject to availability. Please contact Seal Bay.
- Please wear appropriate clothing and footwear based on weather forecasts.
- Cancellations by a customer require a minimum of 5 days’ notice for a full refund. Cancellations shorter than this period will not be refunded. If a refund is authorised it will be processed within 28 days of tour date.
- Management reserve the right to cancel tours for safety reasons at any time. Cancellations may occur due to Total Fire Ban days, extreme weather or other conditions outside of the park’s control. You will be notified if this is to occur and will be invited to reschedule or refunded in full.
- The Department for Environment and Water will not be responsible for any injuries or damage suffered unless the injury or damage was a direct result of the Department for Environment and Water’s negligent act or omission.
- Participants must follow all instructions given by Seal Bay guides for safety and animal welfare reasons.
PDF download available here.